laptop overheating when running cd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jssch

I have a laptop running Windows XP home, 512 mb memory.......

When playing a game which uses the cd drive, I hear it running and then during gameplay, the laptop will overheat and shutdown in its safe mode. Is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Actually, I just took the cd out and it is the computer itself that is running..... so it is the computer processor that is running during the game? Any way to change settings so it doesnt overheat?

Rukee

Banned
try compressed air through all the vents and grill to blow any dust out. Also make sure it`s not on anything cloth like a blanket, as that can sometimes get in the way of the cooling from underneath.

many games are very processor intensive and will use 100% of your CPU 100% of the time. in a laptop the CPU will normally change its speed depending on the load. this saves power and makes less heat. In my opinion ( and we all know what they say about opinions) laptops are not really designed to run at 100% all the time. they will overheat. My daughter plays SIMMS on her laptop. it gets hot. though it has not shut off.

I don't know what your laptop is, there are some laptops refered to as desktop replacements. these are usually powerful laptops. thses may have better cooling. Never used one.

That said, there are trays that have built in fans you can place below a laptop to help cool it.

Steve L

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online