1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop power adaptor plug gets really hot (burning hot)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dohnutman, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dohnutman

dohnutman Thread Starter

A few weeks ago my laptop died on me, or to be more specific, ran out of power even though the adapter was plugged in. I bought a new adapter and that seemed to solve the problem, although I had to move the plug around in the jack to get it to work. Last week I notice the adaptor plug (new one) to the jack got really hot, so hot in fact that some of the plastic on the plug melted (nothing too serious as it still works). It happens every so often, but its getting more frequent. What I mean is that there's no telling when it will happen, although through further inspection I've found that the laptop makes a peculiar noise when it does heat up.
    That being said, the only method I have of charging the laptop without it heating up is to have it turned off before I plug in.
    I've found a replacement jack for the laptop and I'm pretty sure I can replace it but I'm not sure that it is the root of the problem. A friend of mine who is an electrical engineer believes that it might be something wrong with a resistor, as it shouldn't be emitting so much power that it heats up the plug. Any one else have insight on this problem?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The fact that the laptop plug gets hot means that you don't have a good connection between the connector and the laptop power receptacle. I would NOT use it that way, because very bad things happen when you do. Rather than try to put it in words, how about a picture. This is one of two laptops that I've gotten after the user ignored the advice to fix the power jack. The other one looked worse, but both motherboards were obviously a total loss.

Attached Files:

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You should replace the plug and the jack, and you need to be sure they mate properly first.

As JohnWill showed so graphically, your mobo will burn up. You realize, I assume, that the fact that the plug is getting hot enough to melt the shield means inevitably that the jack is also getting hot enough to burn the PCB.

Changing a jack in a laptop isn't exactly fun, but the alternative is far worse.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

And has been graphically represented right here! :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice