1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop power cord interchangeability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cate Huisman, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cate Huisman

Cate Huisman Thread Starter

We have a half dozen laptop power cords lurking around our house, and it would be nice to just station some by appropriate chairs and tables for any passing laptop to plug into. We have four users in our house, each with his/her own current laptop plus a collection of dead/dying/being-transferred-from/brought-home-from-work laptops in various stages of functionality. The actual physical connectors all seem to fit the various laptops, but I'm not sure about the amps/watts/volts issue (all we did in high school physics was shoot rockets into the ceiling to see if they'd stick in the holes in the ceiling tiles, so I'm pretty ignorant in this area).

My latest latop (not purchased by choice; it was the natural consequence of one too many coffee/keyboard interactions) has Vista and a virtually toy battery that doesn't last very long. The power cord that came with it has a label that says "125V 7A." How can I determine which of our other power cords work with it? If I plug in the wrong power cord, will my laptop blow up in my lap? I don't mind experimenting, but I'd rather not ruin my new computer right away.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice