1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Power Down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NewbyITtech, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewbyITtech

NewbyITtech Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR38E which I have been using fine for years. Today I tried to set up cloud print on my Kodak Office 2170 and installed the software on to my laptop, but when it finished it suddenly powered down like the battery had been pulled out. I have it on charge so it's not low battery and when I power it up it says "Windows failed to start, recent changes in the software or hardware may have been the cause". It then says to launch startup repair, which I do, only to have it power down a few seconds later. Any ideas?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the laptop charger still work? They do fail and then the laptop drains the battery and powers off. Are there any lights on the charger? Is the charging light coming on on the laptop?

Try this;
    1) Unplug the charger from the wall
    2) Unplug the charger from the laptop
    3) Remove the laptop battery
    4) Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
    5) Re-connect the charger to the wall and see if any lights come on on the charger.
    6) Connect only the charger to the laptop, see if any lights come up to indicate its plugged in or charging or if the charger's light goes off.
    7) Attempt to power on the laptop and watch for any activity
    8) If the laptop does nothing, disconnect the power adapter and plug in the battery. Attempt to turn it on again.
    9) If nothing, reconnect the charger and let the laptop attempt to charge for a while before trying to turn it on.

Report the results of each of the testing stages.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    once you have tried Triple6 suggestions- and confirm all the tests

sounds like the install of the
    caused an issue

can you get into safe mode at all
    As your computer starts, press and hold the F8 button

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter. Windows will start normally.

also if that does not work
    try again only this time use safemode
    if the PC boots into safemode
    try doing a restore
    start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore - choose a date before you installed the software

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice