1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Power On - Screen Stays Black - Fan Goes Off 5 Seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andantesash, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andantesash

andantesash Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Im having some problem with my Packard Bell EasyNote TJ61 - I powered it on and the fans whirred like normal and the lights on the keyboard came on like normal - the power button lit up. But the screen stayed black. Then the fans went silent after 5 seconds and it sounded like it was switched off but all the lights were still on - the power, hard drive and keyboard ones. I noticed if I run my finger over the touch pad buttons for volume etc they light up so im not sure whats wrong.

I replaced the screen on the laptop the other day and it was working fine until last night and this has happened. Any suggestions?

I've tried replacing ram / replacing hard drive / pulling the cmos battery for 30mins / unplugging and trying the 30 seconds power button trick but nothing.

Any suggestions?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you have a PC monitor connect it to the laptop and see if you get a display on it.

Also check the laptop screen for a dim image, shining a light onto it may make it more visible.

What was wrong that made you replace the screen ?

3. andantesash

andantesash Thread Starter

I have tried plugging in the laptop into external monitors, but it still remains black and no noise from the laptop after the fans seem to switch off.

The screen got cracked on the last one so I replaced it and it was all working fine, shut it down one night and then I turned it on the following morning and thats when the fans seem to cut off after like 5 seconds and the screen remained black

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I expect you've already done these but ... Try it with and without the main battery. Try just one stick of ram.

Not much more you can do without a display. Except to check everything is back together properly and nothing has come loose.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice