1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop - power problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by purple_faoltaem, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. purple_faoltaem

purple_faoltaem Thread Starter

i bought a laptop of eBay about a year ago, it has functioned perfectly for ages, unfortunately the battery was overcharged and no longer works. recently the laptop has on occasion had trouble starting up and every so often i need to make it revert to a save point for it to start up. (not sure if this has anything to do with the problem so i thought i would include it)

yesterday i was working on an assignment (the laptop was only running microsoft word), i got a phone call and left it for a while, when i came back the screen was black, thinking it had just gone to sleep i moved to mouse and pushed some buttons but soon realised that it had completely turned off.

thinking the power had just gone out i removed the plug and tried another appliance which worked perfectly, i then plugged the laptop in again and noticed that when i plugged the power in (without the laptop attached) the light on the adaptor (not sure if that's what it's called:confused: - the little box thing attached to the cord) came on really bright like normal. however when i attached the laptop the light dimmed and began to flash slighty and the laptop can not be turned on. i left it overnight thinking it may have overheated or something but it's still doing the same thing.

the laptop is a dell latitude CPi D300XT
    and although it's designed for windows 98/NT it is currently running on Windows XP.

does anybody know what may be wrong with my laptop or how i can get it fixed?
    sorry that this post is so long.

2. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Can you try to run the laptop without the battery in, just the charger and see what happens and if it will power on... If not you may have to buy a new batter and charger.

3. gollum456

gollum456

also im led to believe that a battery should NEVER be left in if you are constantly running off mains supply as this ruins the battery

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You bought it a year ago but it's worked fine for ages?? :confused:
    You can't overcharge a battery. Once it charges, it's charged. It's not like they explode power all over the place.

You can certainly leave a battery in a laptop while using it connected with the AC adapter. Nothing bad happens with that either.

5. purple_faoltaem

purple_faoltaem Thread Starter

i usually run it without the battery in and the battery wasn't in when it happened, but it doesn't work with or without the battery.

i don't think that there is anything wrong with the charger cause it functions normally until i plug it into the laptop.

by its worked fine for ages i meant the entire time i had it and the person who i got it from never had any troubles either. (well at least not that they told me about)

the laptop is relatively old i guess but the battery did get overcharged because when it's in the laptop and the mains is on it says its charging but never goes past 80%. and it doesn't work because if you take the mains off the laptop shuts down whereas it used to just immediately switch to the battery.

6. gollum456

gollum456

doublehelix,

i dont want to second guess you as im not an 'expert' in computers just a guy who has an interest and relies on his common sense for most problems. however it specifically says in my manual that the battery should NOT be left continuously on charge, but having said that my laptop is 3 years old. (ps: it also says in the manual that every so often the battery should have a full discharge/ charge cycle)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice