1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop powers on but doesn't boot up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stealthz, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

My issue is best described in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-bFeeS1Ls

I have an Acer Aspire 5552-7819, Windows 7. AMD Processor.

Bascially, I power on my laptop. The power light is on, I hear it begin to run, but it doesnt begin to boot up windows or anything, and I'm staring at a blank screen. So I tried doing a hard reset (draining the bios by removing the battery and holding power), connecting to an external display, and removing RAM. All did not work. What is very odd is my universal power adapter was set on 24v instead of 19v like it should be. My friend set it back to 19v and it powered on, so I thought that was the issue. I had a working laptop for about a day, and then the issue reoccurred. I've tried using my stock power adapter, as well as the universal one, and no adapter at all. Still have the same issue. It's weird that it randomly stopped working, began workign again, and now is not working again. What is the problem, and what is the solution?

All help very much appreciated!

2. die_fiend

die_fiend

'fraid to say it doesn't look good at all. If it were just your hard drive that were the problem you'd at least have a message from your BIOS saying something along the lines of "Operating system not found". The lack of any BIOS activity at all indicates motherboard failure (assuming you're certain it's not a display issue, but it doesn't sound like it to me).

24V input on a laptop designed for 19V is a massive difference, though: never more than 0.5V above or below is the rule of thumb. I'm not sufficiently qualified/experienced to tell you that you cooked your motherboard, but experience tells me your mobo is cooked nonetheless. I've had two laptops die due to motherboard failure - the first simply stopped working from one second to the next, but the second died a slow and painful death where it simply became less and less reliable, until it finally stopped booting in the way you describe. The point being that readjusting the voltage on your power adapter may have been enough for one last power-on, allowing you and your laptop to say your final farewells.

Anyone else care to chime in and confirm/reject my suspicions?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    im thinking either a power supply problem or the motherboard has had it. to find out for sure have it checked out and go from there to see if its fixable or not.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice