1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop powers on, but screen is black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cbg, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbg

cbg Thread Starter

So my laptop powered on and I hear the fan and everything sounds normal, up until when the option to type in my password should appear. At first, there was no screen to type in my password. Now, there's the Windows logo, but the cursor doesn't move and there's no box to type in my password.

I tried a quick google and people suggested unplugging the adapter, taking out the battery, and pressing the ON button for 15-60 seconds. I did that and all it did was have the Windows logo pop up. I've tried booting it in safe mode, but nothing shows up.

So I tried step 3 from this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03518165&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en but pressing F10 didn't take me to the BIOS settings. The only option was to press enter, and it led me to options such as system restore or fixing the hardware.

Now this lets me see the screen perfectly fine, so what's going on? I can only see the screen here, but not on normal boot up or safe mode. I tried a system restore but that did not work. I'm currently in the VAIO Recovery Center and I ran a Quick Test and nothing was wrong. So I just did a "hard disk verify and repair" and it said it found something wrong but repaired it. I just restarted and still nothing, just a black screen with the Windows logo, no box to type in my password and the cursor can't move.

Do I need to get something replaced or what? :confused: Oh and this laptop is about 5 years old. If I need anything replaced or fixed, how much would it cost? For now I really need to access my files so I can at least transfer them to an external hard drive :( Please help! Thanks!

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    What operating system to you have? Windows 7? 8?

It sounds like the hardware is functioning, but something for Windows is corrupt. I had the exact same problem on a computer a couple of weeks ago.

I had a Windows on my flash drive, plugged it in, and choose to use startup repair to fix the problem. Ironically in my case, it said it failed, but it did fix the problem.

If you don't have a Windows disc, in your recovery settings, you should be able to choose startup repair. Sounds like upon booting the computer, you have to press enter. Not sure where to go from there on your computer. Can you provide all the options you see from that screen or see if you can find? Also, what is the make and model of your pc?

3. cbg

cbg Thread Starter

^ Thanks for replying!

My laptop is a Sony Vaio CR510e and the OS is Windows Vista.

So I was on the Sony Vaio site and there was a suggestion to press F2 to access the BIOS settings. Again, it didn't lead me to the BIOS settings. I was able to check "last known good configuration" and it actually worked! I was able to type in my password, and the screen was gray for about 5 seconds but then my desktop appeared. Still, the whole incident scared me so I immediately copied all of my files to an external hard drive. I turned it on an hour later without having to press F2 and luckily it worked again.

I just really want to know why this happened. Is my laptop about to die on me? I can't remember what I did on my laptop yesterday for this to happen, but I did nothing out of the ordinary.

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    So what LKGC does is revert your computer to the last time it successfully booted into Windows. Odds are, something was changed that caused this problem or something became corrupt. I can't really tell you which is which. I would always have a backup of all important files.

You did a quick test of the hard drive and it came back good so the hard drive should be good. You could also to a chkdsk and system file checker.

Start - type this in Search Box -> COMMAND find at top and RIGHT CLICK - RUN AS ADMIN

Enter this at the prompt - sfc /scannow

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program
    generates in Windows Vista cbs.log
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Also run CheckDisk so we can rule out corruption as much as possible.

Start - type this in Search Box -> COMMAND find at top and RIGHT CLICK - RUN AS ADMIN

Enter this at the prompt - chkdsk

This command will only show us what is wrong. I would copy and past the results into this forum. Then, you can run chkdsk /f to fix an problems it finds. Note: you will have to restart your computer and this could take some time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1114544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice