1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dad66, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dad66

dad66 Thread Starter

I have an older laptop pent II 266 Mg processor. It is a boot up problem. It will boot in safe mode but will not boot up normally. Nothing wrong with screen. It boots up to the desktop but icons do not appear and the screen shuts down to only a slightly visible back lit situation. Are there controls that you can use to get the boot to complete? OR, is there something in control panel that would help me to get the boot up to comlete?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The fact that it boots in safe mode, but not in normal mode means the problem is almost certainly a driver, and I would point at the video driver first.

You need to reload the video driver from safe mode then reboot.

If you need to find the driver on the internet and download it, then we cannot actually help much, as a "Pentium II 266 mg processor laptop" is not very descriptive of the exact make and model that would be needed to track down the video driver, nor do we know the Windows version (as it may differ between versions).

3. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon Gentlemen, the SIW program may be helpful for you if you unpack and stick it in a directory like C:\SIW this will make it easier to see and run in safe-mode if you can get there.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/siw.html
    I haven't run it in safemode previously so am not positive if it will identify things in that mode.
    It is handy to determine components.
    qldit.

4. dad66

dad66 Thread Starter

It is a MICRON COMPUTER TrekII. It was working fine. I think that I must have hit something on the keyboard by accident that caused this problem. HOW CAN I DOWNLOAD A VIDEO DRIVER for such a computer as this one? Where would I go to even find such a file?

5. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon dad66, there appear to be a number of varient types of that machine, do you have any idea of the actual video system it has.
    There are some drivers here but I made no attempt to try downloading.
    http://support.mpccorp.com/platforms/index.html?ID=2

Normally if you identify what kind of video card (or graphics adapter to be technically correct) you can then google that manufacturer and model number asking for driver.
    Say it was a Ford corvette driver you needed, you would google that as a keyword and that would lead you to what your sought! LOL!!

Quite often video drivers can become corrupted and cause problems so in some cases a driver removal tool may be needed to remove all trace of that driver from your machine.

Under normal circumstances a driver is loaded and one copy is placed in a driver database in your machine, and another is placed in a folder of commonly used drivers.

So when a problem happens it often is a good idea to go into the control panel "device manager" and actually completely delete the "Graphics Adapter" applet entry in that area.

What this does is remove the actual driver that was currently being used and when the machine is re-booted it normally re-loads a fress copy from the data-base. (with luck!)
    This is done using the automatic new hardware detected process as the machine boots.

In some cases a viral kind of problem may be involved where various corruptions can screw things up somewhat, or in some cases owners delete files which may be needed for this process.

But his is a first step without becoming involved with trying to install a different driver, which may not neccessarily be your problem.

G'day Kiwi, big game tonight, here in Brisbane, snipers are set to knock a few of your gorrilla's out of the game!!
    Cheers, qldit.

6. dad66

dad66 Thread Starter

I have solved the problem. Thanks to all of you who responded.

7. dad66

dad66 Thread Starter

problem resolved on laptop.

8. qldit

qldit

Good Morning dad66, congratulations, as a matter of interest how did you achieve the fix?

You can mark your problem solved using the tread tools on the first post.

We are in mourning here, the Kiwi gorillas beat us last night!! Don't tell the kiwi, he'll never shut up!!
    Cheers, qldit.

9. dad66

dad66 Thread Starter

I used the "msconfig" under "run" and used selective start up. After that the computer booted up. What I did I'm not quite sure....but it is working now.
    Oh, by the way, sorry about the loss. I won't say anything to kiwi.
    How many hours difference is there between your location and me in the USA? Enjoyed your input and responses.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sorry about the loss?

Please don't feel sorry for the Australians, even though they fall about howling and wailing, they are in reality used to losing to NZ in sporting events.

Every now and then we ship a few more criminals over there to top up their population and increase their average IQ.

Been a nice weekend here qldit.
    Went up to the holiday cottage, only dial-up there so not been "around" to poke the borax ...

11. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Gentlemen, well I must admit I may have kicked the front of the TV in and the thing fell over and copious amounts of foul smelling smoke were emitted!

To make matters worse I was at the airport this morning and those "all black" gorrillas were actually leaving.
    I was tempted to do something to the airplane but there were other passengers so had to desist.
    I had visions of a Kiwi kamikaze flight on some poor unsuspecting shark halfway across the Tasman.
    I can imagine the headlines, "Gorilla eats shark"

I will see if I can arrange for some Glycerine (a couple of gallons) for your hideaway, I will include some HNO3 this makes a walming balm, you simply mix and stir like mad and you will get warmed.

How many people would be such good losers and offer such gratitude.

24 deg and a great day, now 1845 hrs. Here in Brisbane. GMT +10 hrs.
    Kiwi is +12 (where the new day begins)

I like those fixes dad66, they create such mystery!

All the best.
    qldit.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice