1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop problems / help.?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AliasOmega, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliasOmega

AliasOmega Thread Starter

I got a used Tiny A440 P3 1Ghz laptop that i bought off eBay for £420 2yrs ago, it come with Win ME and then i upgraded to Win XP. Over the past 6 months its had problems with it overheating / blue screen failures after about a hr of use. It would blue screen up (ie halt) then reset itself and fail to start up on the reset. Ive opened it up, and the fan on the chip is working as advertised, but not all the time. I have considered taking the fan appart to see if i can hard wire it so its on when the laptop is on.

Does anyone know any places that can take a look at this, or is it worth selling it on eBay for £200 or something. Its the DVD drive version. Parts are not going to be common, so im unsure.

Ive considered some kind of extra fan to blow into the cooling duct, but i think its a bit excessive.

Apart from moving to the south pole, im stuck for idea's..

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many laptops control the fan and only run it when it's necessary for cooling. It could be something totally unrelated to the fan operation...

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    On most laptops, the fan will kick in once the temperature hits a certain point. It could be the sensor is not working properly.

I saw in a retail store that there is a laptop cooler. I think it's for the bottom of the laptop. You might want to look into that. (had to edit because I realised your in the UK)

Try Dixons or Comet. They should have something like it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice