Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

laptop problems.... please help.

700 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Earthlink is my ISP, and I am having trouble with my wireless router. 3-5 times per week, my laptop is unable to access the network. Each time, I am forced to unplug the router and then plug back in to get wireless network working again. Desktop with ethernet connection to network never has problems. Help?!

#2 ·
could be a number of problems with the wireless
Have you got any other wireless networks interfering -
netstumbler - rhs of this website http://www.stumbler.net/ would be good to see what else is around and what channel they are on.
Microwave or cordless phone can interfer

I have had problems with a D-Link and had to hard code the DNS address in the router. but that also affected the cable connection too

#3 ·
"... I am forced to unplug the router and then plug back in to get wireless network working again."

Just checking, because sometimes people only try one workaround--have you tried various things on your laptop before resorting to the router power cycle? Things like reconnecting, 'repair' and a Windows restart?

Are you using encryption on your network?

Is the router on "all the time" or just part of each 24 hours? Your laptop stays on and myteriously loses network connection, or the trouble occurs when you boot up the laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.