1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Purchase

Discussion in 'General Security' started by CHaTRaSCaL, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CHaTRaSCaL

CHaTRaSCaL Thread Starter

Ok.... Here is my laptop purchase and price..... Let me know if you think it was a good buy for general computer use, nothing professional....

Dell 17.00" diagonal notebook
    Microsoft works Plus & 4GB RAM
    1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo PRocessor T5550
    1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5550
    4GB shared DDR2 SDRAM
    250 GB Hard drive
    8X DVD+/-RW with Double layer DVD+W5 in 1 memory card Reader
    Windows Vista Home PRemium
    6-cell lithium -ion battery

Word 2003 Full version works calendar
    works word processor
    powerpoint viewer
    works dicaitonary
    works portfolio
    Works projects

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Sorry I can't answer your question but I've got a suggestion. If you were to install OpenOffice, any docs. etc would be more compatible with your friends and colleagues than docs produced in 'Works' - not everyone has 'Works'.
    OpenOffice is an office suite that's Open Source, free and totally legal. It's fully compatible with Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint so would add a lot to your laptop's spec at no cost.
    http://why.openoffice.org/

I hope you find this helpful?
    Richard.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

All laptops on the market work perfectly fine for "general" use. A 17" screen is large, and obviously will make the computer heavy. I assume you don't plan to move it around very often.

4. CHaTRaSCaL

Thanks for that information

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Why would you assume that? Mine is in a case that I sling over my shoulder whenever I travel. No problem whatsoever, for me so I opted for usability over size/weight-and bought the case accordingly. (My boss, OTOH, loved his Libretto. More in love with 'having' a portable PC than with actually using one. And he still threw it in his briefcase to carry it.)

6. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

The 17 inch Screen Defiantly adds a few bucks to the case when you go to buy it, I sure found that out, Looking for a backpack , Pretty much all around 100 bucks for one

7. CHaTRaSCaL

The price for the laptop I purchased was $1,400.00

8. fred2028

fred2028

6-cell for a 17"? I'd look for a 9-cell. And does it have like 2 dual cores or did you just repeat it accidentally?
    Overall, it looks like a great laptop IMO, especially with the hard drive and RAM capacity. How's the graphics (card)? That laptop looks quite powerful (more like a desktop), however I don't see a price.
    Why's this in The Security forum anyways?

9. CHaTRaSCaL

It's in security forum by mistake... i'm new to this site and just didn't know any better

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice