1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAPTOP RAM - Technical QUestion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by penmark, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. penmark

penmark Thread Starter

I bought a new Compaq Presario laptop, and the specs say it has 256mb of PC2100, (266MHZ) DDR-SDRAM, with a max capacity of 1G. So I went out and bought 1G (2-512mb modules, same specs). When I opened up the memory compartment and removed the memory the laptop came with, it was marked 256mb, DDR, 333 mhz, PC 2700.

My questions:

Are the two types of memory interchangeable?
    Can using PC 2700 333 mhz harm the computer if it is meant to run PC2100, 266 mhz?
    If I use the PC2100, 266mhz, will my computer run slower?
    What should I do?

Thanks.

Mark

2. GripS

GripS

If the system was running fine with PC2700 and the memory speed is being reported at 333mhz then that is what you should use for better performance. You could use the PC2100 but you would be using a slower speed of memory resulting in slower performance.

My advice to you is return the PC2100 and get PC2700.

3. penmark

penmark Thread Starter

how do i know what it is being reported at? the only way i know about the 333 is by reading it on the memory module itself.

4. GripS

GripS

Download CPU-Z. It's a small free download that does not install on your computer. Once you've downloaded the file extract it. It will extract 4 items. Click on the icon that looks like a computer chip. Once open click on the memory tab and look at the frequency. If it's running at 333mhz it will show up as 166. This makes 1000 posts for me WOOOHOOOO!!!:D

By the way the reason it will show up as 166 is because this would be the base clock. Since it is DDR(Double Data Rate) it runs on the rising and falling edge of the clock cycle meaning it's effectively 333mhz.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect that they used the PC2700 simply because it was easier to get. There's no downside to using faster memory than the system needs. My guess is that you'll find out that it really does run at 133mhz.

6. penmark

penmark Thread Starter

I downloaded CPU-Z with the following results: w/ the PC2700,333MHz, the frequency was 133; with the PC2100, 266MHz, the frequency was also 133; so I guess the conclusion is that even though the laptop had the 333MHz memory installed, the computer is not capable of running at that speed. Is that correct? Thanks for all your help.

Mark

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, that would be my conclusion. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice