Laptop RAM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ebony

I replaced the 32 megs RAM with 128 megs on my Toshiba Satellite PRO 440CDX. I have Windows98 installed. The system will still only recognize the 32 megs.Is there any way I can get it to recognize the new 128 megs?

You should check the motherboard manual to see if your computer supports more than 32 megs of ram. It may help a bit.

ebony

The specs for Toshiba Satellite PRO 440CDX at the Toshiba site says the max RAM is 144 megs.

Triple6

Rob
That 144MB is distributed amoung all the slots. Your Laptop likely has 16MB of Ram onboard and 128MB of ram in add-on slots. If you have 2 slots thats 64MB of ram in each slot to give you 16MB + 64MB + 64MB = 144MB. It could also be incompatible Ram for your Laptop. Make sure the Ram you bought is indeed compatible with your specific laptop. Try updating your BIOS as well. This is a hardware problem, not software.

Del

Ya, might need two 64meg strips rather then one 128m

ebony

It only takes one strip. When I boot with the 128 MB strip the laptop indicates 16 MB installed but when I boot with my original RAM it indicates 32 MB installed which it is I guess.

Del

OK, so my guess is you have 16M on the motherboard and 16M on the RAM. When you put the 128M in, it don't see it at all.
I would say the same as Triple6, wrong RAM, defective RAM or something in BIOS.
When I upgraded from 20G to 40G, computer didn't see but 30G untill I updated my BIOS, then it worked fine.

Del

Did you make sure you had the correct RAM for your computer. When I added RAM to my Toshiba, 4 years ago, had to get it from them??

ebony

That's prpbably true. Although the RAM fitted and the computer booted O.K. it's probably the wrong type of RAM although unless I buy the RAM from Toshoba I don't know the exact specs.

Howdy there ebony...

Is the BIOS not seeing the correct amount of memory, or is W98 not seeing the correct amount of memory ?

If W98 isn't seeing the memory click on "Start" - "Run" - type in "msconfig" - the "Advanced" button - and uncheck "Limit memory to" then reboot...

ebony

Good thought Jedi Master but it didn't work. The box was already unchecked.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online