1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Randomly and Suddenly Turns Off After Trying to Fix Physical Damage to Dell15R

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clifb, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clifb

clifb Thread Starter

I have a two year old Dell Inspiron 15R. Today while adjusting the screen in a normal fashion, I noticed something putting upward pressure from below the top right part of the keyboard (it was actually 'pressing' the quick launch buttons that are there because it was pushing up from under them). Later, the screen hinge on the bottom right burst out of the laptop encasing. Since it was sticking out, I could see that the hinge had become dislodged from where it is screwed in, so the hinge was pushing up whenever i moved the screen back. I opened the case to check it out. I saw that the cylinder that the hinge screws screw into had cracked and broken so that the screws were just hanging off the hinge. There was one lone screw that still had a spot, but it must have slipped out from constant moving. I took the free screws out and screwed in the lone screw as a temporary fix. I also unhooked the ribbon cable that connected the three quicklaunch buttons to the mobo, so that they couldn't be accidently pressed anymore (this laptop shipped with win7, and when i updated to win8 those buttons become mostly useless)

I then closed the case thinking everything would be fine since I fixed the hinge for now. After a couple mins of computer, I botted up civ5 and before the game started, my computer suddenly flickered off. I let it rest for a bit because I didn't know what could have happened, but a few mins later i started it up again and it started without problem. I tried civ5 again and it just turned off. Now i became worried so i took the keyboard out again and decided to cut the ribbon cable for the quicklaunch buttons, because I thought maybe leaving that wire free was causing a problem. I booted my laptop up again and it turned off again suddenly while I was using google chrome. This time it refused to turn on. I thought maybe the mobo was fried so I removed the battery and A/C adaptor and set my laptop down and went somewhere to quietly cry. I tried booted it up again and it turned! and here I am now, wondering what I must have done wrong. Any ideas on what's going on?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like its overheating and shutting off. Check to make sure the cooling fan is working and not being obstructed by anything.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice