1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop randomly refuses to connect to router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dantesgirl, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dantesgirl

Dantesgirl Thread Starter

Hello there. :)

I live in quite a rough neighbourhood, so my neighbours look for any excuse to get anything for free. Recently, I found out that four families in my street were using my unsecured router. Obviously, encrypting was a must, but I have had nothing but problems since.

I wish I could say 'my laptop won't connect at all' because that would be a bit more straight-forward, but it's a bit more random that that. My laptop will be very sporadic when connecting to the internet: sometimes it will connect fine for hours, then the connection will drop and I can't use it at all. For example, last night I had perfect connection for hours, then I put my laptop on standby for twenty minutes and it wouldn't connect at all after that. The laptop would connect to the router, but I just couldn't connect to the internet. I can connect on my brother's computer, my phone, my iPod Touch and his PS3, but my laptop is being very sporadic.

My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ50-110EM (running Vista Home Premium) and my router is a Belkin G Plus MIMO. As I have explained, getting rid of my router security isn't a very good option because those families will go straight back to stealing my internet.

Any help will be really, really appreciated - this is very frustrating!

Thank you.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. Dantesgirl

Dantesgirl Thread Starter

Hi there, thank you very much for your help. :)

The screenshot has been attached as asked.

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
    2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    4. Update the network drivers on your computer to the latest available.
    5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

In addition, what is the version of Windows on other machines that don't have this issue?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice