1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop randomly turned off while using it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computersarecool, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computersarecool

computersarecool Thread Starter

Just a few minutes ago, I was doing some light gaming (nothing major, just some Facebook games I play), when suddenly the laptop just cut out. I checked the vents, there was no heat at all on any part of the laptop. I also checked Event Viewer, nothing except for a Computer improperly shut down error. Any ideas?

2. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    its possible there was a sudden loss of power from the computer. check the electrical connection, as it may have been inadvertently tugged a little. also, a series of installed updates from MS can time down to a restart. causing the machine to reboot.

3. computersarecool

It's a laptop, so even if it came unplugged it would just switch to battery power. There were no updates.

4. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    anything beyond the usual small oversights which are common or minor glitches can also be due to deeper problems such as system damage or the mobo.

a feature of windows is the reliable monitor. this has a history of such events, if the sudden shutdown recurs. in win10 enter RELI into search. this will bring up the feature and in earlier OS's such as win7, the feaure will show "When and How many times your machine was shut down improperly" follow this win7 guide, if needed.

Well, tracking back “improper shutdowns” in Windows 7 is simple

1. Click the “Start menu“, type “View reliability history” (without quotes), Click “View reliability history” in the search result

2. Now you can see the “Reliability Monitor” of your Windows 7 machine.

3. Now you can see how many times your system was hard shut-down, and this history will reveal the time when the critical error occurred, and all summary containing the phrase “Windows was not properly shutdown” should reveal things you are looking for.
    http://thetechgears.com/how-to-track-back-improper-shutdowns-in-windows-7/

the reliablility monitor can reveal any issues or underlying problems that may begin to surface.

5. computersarecool

Sorry about the delay, i've been quite busy and haven't been online in awhile. Today, while I was doing some work in Sketchup, the same thing happened. It seems to happen when the laptop is under load.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1169002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice