1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Randomly Turns Off When In Battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tshaw99, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tshaw99

tshaw99 Thread Starter

My laptop keeps turning itself of when it is on battery. It lasts about 20 minutes, but is getting shorter everytime.

The battery is not running out- when I turn it back on it has 50% charge normally.

It turns off as if it has no power- no warning, and when I turn it back on it reloads and everything is new, with documents and Internet sessions needing restoring.

How can I fix this? I don't think it is the battery, as it has charge when I turn it back on, and it only has 20% wear.

Thanks!

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Welcome to TSG!!

If it's truly random, it won't be the Power Management settings. Some laptops have a utility that enables you to "calibrate" your battery. It will fully charge, then fully discharge the battery, perhaps more than one cycle, to allow the laptop to "learn" the battery's capabilities and characteristics. Check and see if you can find such an app. Different manufacturers will give it different names. Also, check their Web site to see if it is a separate download.

3. oksteve

oksteve

Its a random affair,battery readings being accurate .
    Often it can be a duff charger that is causes this kind of problem. Is it the one that came with the laptop ?
    What specs do you have tshaw99 ?
    And how long have you had the battery, is it the original one

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/926906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice