1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by cammi, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cammi

cammi Thread Starter

I need a recommendation for a laptop that isn't a mac. I will be using the laptop as a 2nd computer and will take it with me travelling. It also needs to be fast/great with graphics and LCD, as I am studying web & graphic design.

What would you recommend for me?

I was thinking of buying the Lenovo T61P but only the T61 is available in Australia and Malaysia. But I also read that the LCD sucked (which sucks, cos I need a good screen for my work). :mad:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Lenovos are geared toward business users, not graphic design. Since that's the area most heavily saturated with Macs, you might want to reconsider the option. If a Mac absolutely isn't an option, look to the high-end offerings by HP and Dell.

3. cammi

cammi Thread Starter

I prefer non-macs in general. Also, in my class we do have Mac users and they have had a lot of trouble using the Adobe programs (dreamweaver etc) on their computers... every week they have some random problem with the progs. So I am beginning to think the thought that Macs are better for graphics is indeed a fallacy.

I currently own a Compaq Presario V4000 which is getting a bit old now... I love it, it was pretty cheap too when I got it a few years back. Maybe if it was a bit lighter, and I could upgrade it for more RAM and Space that would be good.

I wouldn't touch Acer or Dell with a stick. Or Gateway (not that we have those shops here now anyway...). I am primarily a IT person, just delving into design now.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if the applications you are using for your graphic design is Windows based, then the Windows computer obviously makes more sense.

You need to start by listing the attributes that are most important to you by importance, such as the following.

Note: the order I used is arbitrary, you should put them in the order of importance, and add any additional things you can think of.

Maximum price
    Screen Size & Resolution
    Processor Speed
    Memory Size
    Disk Size
    External I/O Ports (USB, Firewire, Network, Audio)
    External Video Ports (type of connections)
    Physical Size
    Weight
    Travel weight (with power adapter and other accessories)
    O/S, Vista or XP
    etc..

5. elektrik.star

elektrik.star

Well, I personally have an HP Pavillion that's running Vista. I feel it alone is a good OS and computer, and I believe Ultimate will run even better on it.

My friend is also a graphic designer and it's the type of computer she has as well, though I have a 17' widescreen and she opted for 15'.

It really does depend though on what specs you're looking for. Worst come the worst, you might just want to get one of the best laptops you can and customize the parts in it yourself to get what you're truly looking for.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Closing the door on multiple brands will certainly limit your options. Personally, I don't like wasting my time making reasonable recommendations so the person can respond with, "I refuse to buy that brand for XYZ reason." Usually the reasons are based on sporadic anecdotal advice from friends or one bad experience years ago with a particular model or series.

This is the first time I've read of mass, frequent crashes of software on a Mac. My guess is there's more to that story as well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice