1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop recommendations needed.

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by billyg1957, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billyg1957

billyg1957 Thread Starter

Not sure this is the right forum but...I need to purchase a laptop for my high school age daughter, who will be taking a college course/living away for the summer. I don't want to spend a ton of money as she will likely need a different laptop when she graduates from HS next summer, based on the college or her choice requirements.

My goal is something that has wifi capability and can run school related productivity, such as MS office. Once she is done with the 5-week course, this laptop would become my wife's. She is a low end user...primarily using it for internet, email, perhaps ebay listing etc. She is not a gamer or heavy music/video user.

I have seen new Dells and HP's at around $450-$500. I have seen some off brands for about $100 less.

Is there such thing as dependable used laptops or laptop rentals??

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Does she need Microsoft's Office suite? Do you already have this, or is it something you have to purchase? Or will the school provide it? What components of Office would she need? (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, OneNote, etc.) This could be the most expensive component of the laptop depending on what's needed.

3. billyg1957

I already own office and would load the components she would need, primarily word, perhaps powerpoint.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

And you don't have this installed on any other computer?

5. billyg1957

i do have this installed on another computer, but it is an older version, 97 I think, that does not preclude multiple installations...unless i am wrong. Otherwise, I would be needing to use an open source word processing program or buy office.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't believe any version of Office allows for multiple installations. OpenOffice (available at www.openoffice.org) is a free alternative, but your daughter's class or school may require Microsoft Office. Most colleges offer this at a substantial discount. Contact the school to find out.

7. billyg1957

okay. Thank you for that information....Assuming that I need to purchase .....how would recommend I move forward?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Purchase what? A laptop or Office?

9. n2gun

n2gun

10. billyg1957

DoubleHelix...a laptop.
    n2gun, thanks for the link.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice