1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop reconfigure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ron derenzo, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron derenzo

ron derenzo Thread Starter

I have a laptop which I have taken home from work. The platform used at the job is Windows NT and the machine has some stuff on it which is for the network and variou dial in protocols. I was thinking I would "eliminate" the NT version and all the work related stuff and re-load windows 98 which I have on my old desktop.
    Is that a bad move? Will i have a hard time doing it>? Am I asking for trouble? Can you eliminate one windows platform and replace it with another?

I wanted to do this so I could get rid of some of the error messages I get on this laptop AND to get a wireless router and card so my kids could use it>

Should I try?

rd

2. jdean

jdean

After configuring one laptop for Win NT, I'd definitely say that Win98 is a better choice (and even better if you can locate a Win98 CD designed for your particular laptop).

You'll probably want to reformat the hard drive prior to installing Win98, mainly to clear out junk that you don't need, but also to help avoid possible problems with multiple/mismatched versions of files. I don't recall if the Win98 installer offers this option, but I have a vague recollection that there is a boot option that allows you to boot into a DOS mode that should allow you to do this.

It's always hard to say how difficult this will be. If you want to play safe, buy a new hard drive and install on that, so that you still have the original NT installation just in case.

Should you do this? It depends on your tolerance for pain. If you're will to spend the time, give it a try. Otherwise, just buy a newer laptop with Win2000 or WinXP installed and enjoy running on a more stable platform.

Hope this helps...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice