Laptop restarts instead of shutting down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grtatn

I just spoke to my daughter at college who is having trouble with her Acer laptop, running XP SP2, Intel Celleron, 2GB RAM, and using Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite. When she clicks "shut down" the laptop appears to shut down, but then restarts. "Restart" is not selected. I did a Google search and found a known problem with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 and with Direct CD 5.0, but as best I can tell she has neither program installed (she looked in "programs" folder, and in control panel under "add and remove programs" and couldn't find either listed). I also had her right click "my computer", "properties", "advanced", "startup and recovery - settings", and uncheck the "automatically restart" box in "system failure" section. But her laptop still restarts at shutdown. Any suggestions? (She's away at college, so I'm going to have to try to help her remotely - so it may be a slow process getting answers back to you). Thanks.

grtatn

Still having this "re-start" problem. The laptop does not re-start unexpectedly, as one of the Microsoft articles talks about, but it does re-start every time she clicks "shut down". I've gone to the "startup and recovery" tab and, under the "system failure" tab I have un-checked "Automatically Restart" - but it still re-starts instead of shutting down. Any advice?

grtatn

Yes, I had been to the Microsoft site and reviewed that posting, but it didn't seem to help. Today I ran a variety of system clean ups, Secuna software updates, on-line virus scans, etc. Although none seemed to turn up anything of significance, the laptop now shuts down. So, for now, Solved.

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online