Laptop restarts/ reboots when CFL is switched on

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cyberRaj

Why my Laptop restarts/ reboots whenever a CFL in vicinity is switched on? Do anybody also experience this phenomena? Please help how to stop it, as this is just like forcing sudden switching off laptop, which is to sure damage the laptop software &/ hardware. This happens when the laptop is both plugged in and when on battery. Do anybody has clue? Pls help.

etaf

Wayne
whats a cfl - is this a compact fluorescent lamp

and that happens even when the laptop is disconnected from the mains ?
Also does it happen with any CFL

cyberRaj

Dear etaf, thanx 4 such an early reply. didn't imagined such a fast reply.
yes, cfl = compact fluorescent lamp
Laptop restarts/ reboots even if it is not connected by power cord i.e. working on battery.
And while working on to power cord energy too.
I don't know whether there are different categories of CFL but at least i experienced it with two different CFL's i e one is OREVA company's 36 W and another is 11 W HAWELLS company.
It does not happen with regular Tube Light or incandescent lamp.
2B more precise, my Laptop is HP Pavillion dv 2910Tx. intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GB 2.0 GB CPU with nVIDIA graphix card & 3 GB Memory with Vista Home Premium 32 Bit OS
Hope this gives you clear idea of the situation.
cyberRaj

etaf

Wayne
it must be some form of radio interference since the laptop is decoupled from the mains - how old is the machine , if under warranty i would discuss with manufacturer

cyberRaj

that is what i also suspect (although the wireless switch of my laptop is in switch off position).
My laptop is out of warranty and HP leaves their product buyer suspended in air if the product they buy is out of warranty. I purchased it somewhere in Sept 2008.

cyberRaj

I thought its just normal ppl may experiencing everywhere and i m not the one to face it. but seems its a unique case.

etaf

Wayne
i have not seen this issue, but see what other members here think

Each laptop manuf adopts his own sensor to sense that the laptop lid is closed. dell uses a proxy switch, ibm mech switch, HCL might be using a light sensor, u can partly solve the problem by changing the setting in ur computer to switch off screen when lid is closed. for complete solution u need to change this sensor or u may try "do not do anything" for lid closed condition in the settings

good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online