Laptop restarts-shuts down randomly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

neroid

Hello people of tech guy,i've been tackled with a mild problem you see i have a laptop from toshiba tecra m11 europe-greek edition and i got the problem that the last year it always restarts(frequently like per minute or up to an hour),it had a serious heating problem so i applied new thermal paste(artic silver 5 3 gr) and re applied the heat sink-fan and the problem of heating got lowered(but not gone completely idle 25-50 in work up to 70) either way,problem is that the laptop closes suddenly at any momment of works notice,i tried formatting the hdd then but the problem still persists ,the sound it makes when it closes is the same as if i was pressing the power off button(the laptop doesnt do any sound if it closes by the windows pannel,but it does if the power key is pressed).
I thank you in advance for any help.

neroid

I recommend performing the following as the first step.

Stress Test Your CPU - Prime 95
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16474-prime95-stress-test-your-cpu.html

Select the Blended Test
Record maximum temperatures and duration of testing.
Best to test > 3 hrs and abort testing as needed for freezing, temperature changes, etc
Please use the Microsoft snipping tool or similar to post images to your reply
As per request here are pictures durring the test,i closed the test at the highest temp since it would be risky for cpu damage.
In general the idle temp is 50-on load 70~.
took me 3 tries since the laptop restarted 3 times before even starting the test.
The test was roughly 2 minutes long.

Last edited:

dmccoy

Darrin
Are you saying the test would only run a couple. In and then fail?

neroid

Are you saying the test would only run a couple. In and then fail?
no i simply state that the owners say to close the test in case it passes a certain temperature to avoid damage,the test i believe would not fail but it would fail in a sense cause the pc would reboot.
want me to attempt to run it fully?

neroid

As long as you have not messed with your system settings and have adequate cooling and your CPU is under 85 degrees it should be okay. It is designed to stress your system so it is going to get hot.

Good resource
http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html
Test was used for 3 hours with no problem,the laptop dint restart or anything in the duration of the test,upon ending the test the laptop closed after only 5 minutes,the temperature at the last 2 hours of the test was constant 89c degrees

dmccoy

Darrin
Are you comfortable opening it up and cleaning it out. If it it getting that hot and shutting down then that is probably your issue.

neroid

Are you comfortable opening it up and cleaning it out. If it it getting that hot and shutting down then that is probably your issue.
like i mentioned i have good knowledge of my laptops interior since i applied thermal paste to it and replaced the heat sink afterwards properly,ofcourse i cleaned dust out of it and several cobwebs in it haha,but yea i cleaned the interior.

dmccoy

Darrin
Sorry I forgot about that. What happens if you run in clean boot as follows:

How to perform a clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I can also look at some things if you provide a trace as follows:

Download and Install WPT
1. Click on Start menu
2. Type command to start searching
3. Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
4. Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt
xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 2048 -MaxFile 1024 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d "%userprofile%\desktop\highCPU.etl"
5. Let it run for approx 1-2 min
6. Then Press Any Key to Stop capture
7. This will create a file highCPU.etl on your desktop
8. Compress the file to a .zip file and upload to your reply

neroid

Sorry I forgot about that. What happens if you run in clean boot as follows:

How to perform a clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I can also look at some things if you provide a trace as follows:

Download and Install WPT
1. Click on Start menu
2. Type command to start searching
3. Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
4. Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt
xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 2048 -MaxFile 1024 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d "%userprofile%\desktop\highCPU.etl"
5. Let it run for approx 1-2 min
6. Then Press Any Key to Stop capture
7. This will create a file highCPU.etl on your desktop
8. Compress the file to a .zip file and upload to your reply
Done and Done took me 4 tries till the laptop stayed up so i can do the test,here are the results.

Attachments

dmccoy

Darrin
How does it work in the clean boot mode? It looks like you have a couple of possible driver issues that may need to be fixed.

Disable all network drivers and the memory card driver and test.
ndis.sys
rimspe64.sys - Ricoh Memory Card Reader driver.

neroid

How does it work in the clean boot mode? It looks like you have a couple of possible driver issues that may need to be fixed.

Disable all network drivers and the memory card driver and test.
ndis.sys
rimspe64.sys - Ricoh Memory Card Reader driver.
it still restarts in clean boot,its a new win 10 install after all so only mozilla needed to be stopped,i will try ,so for now i should dissable ndis.sys and rimspe64.sys?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online