1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop restore disks wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hd1340, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hd1340

hd1340 Thread Starter

i have an hp laptop dv6915nr. restore disks stop at 23% with error 0x400110020000100b if problem continues please contact customer support, witch i did. it seems some how i deleted info on the hard drive for the disks to install. hp will not tell me how to fix this. they want me to send it in for repair at 400$ or a new hard drive at 200$. i can install xp or vista but the drivers will not install and nothing works. ie wireless internet ethernet card. can not connect to internet. can anybody tell me how i can get my recovery disks to work?

thanks

2. Hughv

Hughv

What OS?
    Are these disks that you created?

3. hd1340

hd1340 Thread Starter

i did not create them i ordered them from hp. the operating system is windows vista home premium 32 bit

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. hd1340

hd1340 Thread Starter

there is a recovery partition on my hard drive. i cant delete it or access it.
    it is encrypted. i tried to wipe it but i cant. my disks are made with wim files. The restore disk asks the hard drive for the answer file on the hard drive to install windows, but the answer file is corrupt or not there. Unless i am reading it wrong, the article you sent me says windows 7 will not activate through a recovery partition. I do not have the original operating system installed on the laptop.

6. Hughv

Hughv

Have you tried the method in the manual?
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01662115.pdf (Page 12)
    : ? Restart the computer and pressf11 while the &#8220;Press <F11> for recovery&#8221; message is displayed
    on the screen. Then select Recovery Manager.

Recovery Manager opens.

2. Click Advanced Options.

3. Click System recovery, and then click Next.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions. "

7. hd1340

hd1340 Thread Starter

yes it just flashes a curser. let it set for 45 minutes. nothing happened

8. hd1340

hd1340 Thread Starter

can any one tell me if these disks would install on a brand new hard drive NOT purchased from hp

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you talked to more then one person at HP? It seems to me they gave you a load of baloney. The purpose of the recovery disk is so that if something happens to the hard drive, for example when you get a new hard drive because your old one fails, you can reload the software from the discs.

If all you need is the drivers, you can download those from the HP site: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB

But I'd call again and have them explain why you need something on the hard drive to use recovery discs, unless they are not full recovery discs in which case you can order a new full set from HP for a small fee.

10. hd1340

hd1340 Thread Starter

yes i have talked to more than one person. When the guy told me it was going to be 400$ to have the hard disk re imaged, I told him it would be cheaper to buy a new hard drive. He said he would order me one. I asked him if the disks would work and he said only if i baught the hard drive from HP. I have downloaded every driver for vista at the hp website. my wireless internet will not work the ethernet driver will not install. the 5 in 1 card reader say illegal operation and shuts down every time i try to install it. i can get a 250 gig hard drive for $40 but i dont want to waste the money if its not going to work. and thanks for all the help

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've never seen a computer in the last decade and a half where you could not replace the hard drive and use the factory recovery disks. I guess this is one of the many reasons why I never would never buy an HP or ever recommend one.

Which operating system are you trying now that the drivers fail to install on?

12. hd1340

hd1340 Thread Starter

vista home premium 32 bit

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    See these posts on the HP forum, the last two are the useful ones: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operat...ror-during-System-Recovery-Process/m-p/241588
    Try the CyberLink utility, wireless switch, and other suggestion made.

There's also a BIOS update, several of the previous ones mention fixes ranging across the entire laptop including wireless, random crashes, and hanging with the Vista Sp1 image(?) Maybe updating to the latest BIOS will help resolve some of your issues: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&lang=en&product=3740559

14. hd1340

hd1340 Thread Starter

i did that also

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You did all the steps mentioned in that thread including the CyberLink patch? And the BIOS update?

If HP is correct then ordering another drive won't work either. Unless this drive is defective, have you tested it with the HP diagnostics?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice