1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop & Router - can't access some websites with wireless but can with wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GrumblingAgain, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrumblingAgain

GrumblingAgain Thread Starter

Hi

I have an odd problem - Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop Win XP SP3 and a Dynamode Wireless Router.

When online using wireless, there are a few websites that I cannot access via the router. But if I connect to the same router with a network cable, then I can access those sites.

Wireless connection - Can connect to most sites, but one or two fail - for example www.disktrix.com brings up "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" Choosing Diagnose Connection Problems gives no error. Yet, plug in the ethernet cable and the same website then works.

Pinging that site when using wireless gives Cannot Find Host and tracert gives Unable to resolve target system name.

I am sure there is a broken DNS list when wireless and a different DNS list is used when wired.

In Network Connections, both the Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connections have the same TCP/IP properties - Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

As far as I can tell, IPCONFIG /ALL shows the correct addresses of both connections.

Any ideas? I have tried flushing the DNS on both connections but that made no difference. What is preventing the Wireless connection from forwarding the DNS request to the router?

I thought it might be the router, but the only other device I can use wirelessly is a mobile phone, which connects and brings up the same webpage, so that seems to resolve the address ok.

Thanks in advance if anyone has some clues.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ipconfig /all is identical (except for the device's IP address) for wireless and wired, right?

There have been a few cases where this symptom showed up with a particular (usually wireless) adapter and router. All the "solutions" I can remember were to buy a new router or adapter.

You can try updating the adapter's driver; and update the router firmware and then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure. If you find a new fix for this you will be a trend setter. :)

3. GrumblingAgain

GrumblingAgain Thread Starter

Yes, exactly the same apart from IP, the description and the Mac Address of course.

OK will try those suggestions although it doesn't sound promising! Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice