1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Running really slow after installing windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Marialouise, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marialouise

Marialouise Thread Starter

Please help!!

Since installing Windows 7 on my HP Pavillion it has been running so slowly it crashes if i open more than 1 program. It constantly sound like its burning a CD like the fan is doing overtime!!!

I have updated the drivers, installed antivirus, i have runa registry cleaner and not change. Please can you help??

Maria :(

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What OS was on the system before?

How much RAM?

What CPU speed?

What drivers (Windows 7 from HP? Vista from HP? whatever Windows finds?)?

3. Marialouise

Marialouise Thread Starter

Hi,

*The OS before was Vista
    *The RAM is 2.00 gb
    *CPU Speed is 1900mhz
    Not sure about the drivers how do i find this out?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Your RAM and CPU are fine for running Windows 7; the machine should run a little better than it did with Vista.

Since you're not sure about the drivers surely you are using whatever Windows found and installed. Often these are fine, but when you are having troubles, as you are, you should look for others.

On HP's web site, Support section, find the information for your exact model (if you look at my Computer specs you'll see that I have two Pavilions and they are very different). For some (very few) models there is a recommendation to update the BIOS when going to Windows 7. If there are Windows 7 drivers for your model you should download and install them, beginning with the chipset. Use the Vista drivers instead if necessary.

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Maria:

Did you install Windows 7(32-bit) or Windows 7(64-bit)?

What's the model number of that HP Pavilion? If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number or service tag number on the sticker is.

I don't know at this point what you have installed and what's auto-loading and running in the background, but we can look into that later.

A word of advice. Stay away from registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type programs. (n)

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972021