1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop running super slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mommy2EMK, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mommy2EMK

Mommy2EMK Thread Starter

I recently dropped my Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop, after realizing the hard drive was ruined, I went and got a new one. I had a hard time getting Windows Vista installed but after 3 times of trying (reformatting before the 3rd time) it finally worked. I had to reinstall driver for my wireless and Ethernet card. I am running Vista, BUT after the new hard drive everything is running SUPER slow.

There isn't any abnormal sounds coming from the computer and upon inspection the only thing I found wrong was the hard drive.

I use my laptop to work and it not working right really is cutting into my paycheck so someone please help.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Have you checked that the RAM modules are OK. One of them may have come loose when you dropped the machine.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Dropping a laptop can cause all kinds of damage. The fact that you had trouble installing Windows indicates some type of hardware damage beyond the hard drive. You can try reseating the RAM as Mark1956 suggests, but if that doesn't work, you'll need to replace the laptop.

4. Mommy2EMK

Mommy2EMK Thread Starter

I took the RAM out and then put it back in. It looks and feels tight in there. Is there some diagnostic test I can do to see if something else hardware could be wrong?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If it's not the RAM, that leaves the motherboard. Replacing it would likely cost more than the laptop is worth.

6. Mommy2EMK

Mommy2EMK Thread Starter

:-/ How can I know for sure? At least its working, time to start saving.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not the hard drive, it's not loose RAM. There aren't any other replaceable parts in the laptop.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Have you done the reinstallation from a Vista disc or was it a set of Recovery discs. If you used a Vista disc you will also need to install all the chipset and hardware drivers from the manufacturer's site. Look in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow warning signs. Have you checked the wifi card is not loose.

Your final option would be to have an expert take it apart and check for any loose connections on the motherboard and for any physical damage that may have occured when you dropped it.

9. Mommy2EMK

Mommy2EMK Thread Starter

I did the re-installation from the Vista disc. I Can't seem to find my recovery disc (I swore I had one). I think honestly that what I need is the recovery disc. There are two yellow warning Signs one on the graphics card and one on Unknown.
    I took the WiFi card out and plugged it back it when i reinstalled the drivers for that.

Thanks Mark for the more detailed answer :)

I will look into finding the drivers for the graphics card today.

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice