1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop running unbelieveably slow

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wildbill2u, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildbill2u

wildbill2u Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8086 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (895 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0YH79Y
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Several days ago my laptop started running unbelieveably slow. It takes an hour or two to get to the opening password and every app is similarly slow.

If I try to open Task Manager, the screen goes blue and I get a message that the computer is "preparing security options" Nothing seems to complete and the screen goes back to whereever it was before I tried to open task manager.

I wonder if this can be traced to an auto download of a Windows 10 Update.

C:\Users\user\Downloads\Windows10Upgrade9194.exe

I have run Malware Bytes and it found nothing.
    I did a reset by letting my battery run out, removing the battery and then holding the start key down for a minute. Not an appreciable result.

One other thing, I opened the Fstop thingee to see the current settings. Of course I know nothing about where they should be, but I did notice a CPU setting that has a L1 cache of only 64 KB. and the L2 was around 350 KB. Oh, and the power up sequence starts with USB storage. Is that normal instead of C drive? I don't have any USB storage plugged in but I do have a wireless dongle plugged in for my wireless mouse and keyboard.

Anyway, I hope I have given you enough info for a miracle cure. Thanks so much for the help you guys give to us computer idiots. Cheers, Wildbill2u

Before all this started the machine was very quick.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

That is not a Windows Update. Where did you download that from, do you remember? I hope you didn't run it.

3. wildbill2u

wildbill2u Thread Starter

I have no idea where it came from. I didn't download it. I thought it was a auto update from Win 10. If it executed after download, it must have been automatic. This morning my laptop took 30 minutes to get to the entry password from "sleep"

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Since we have a strange file masquerading as Windows Update, and your system is behaving strangely slow; and we don't have a forensics team to decipher what the file does; I 'd say we better re-install Windows. Back up your data to a USB mem stick and boot with the Win 10 install DVD, Choose Custom install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice