1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Sat in Coffee - Lost Cause?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marbled, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marbled

marbled Thread Starter

One of the users at my school discovered on Friday that her laptop had been sitting in a small puddle of coffee for most of the day. The memory slots are on the bottom of the machine (Compaq Presario 1625 laptop).

When I opened the bay, the RAM was wet with coffee and I could see that coffee had gotten through the plastic coat onto the MotherBoard. I took the RAM out and let the machine sit open (to dry out) for the weekend. Is there any hope that I can revive this machine without buying new parts?

I tried to power it up yesterday (after one day of drying) with no luck. I hear a click from the speakers when I plug in the power cord, but the LCD for the power doesn't show any activity, nor will the machine even pretend to power on.
    Thanks!

2. zeddy

zeddy

It is amazing just how far a cup of coffee can get to unless you really took the laptop apart fully it is difficult to ensure it was dried out completely. It does not sound hopeful.

3. putasolution

putasolution

Leave it to dry for a couple of days, you might want to take it apart and paint a layer of toluene on it to try and remove any coffee residuals

4. Annorax

Annorax

This does not sound good. You might need to replace some parts, but let it dry off and try to remove the coffe.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, believe it or not, the best RX would be to wash it! You'll obviously have to disassemble it, but getting the contaminants out of there is of primary importance if you want it to work again.

I had a laptop that the guy dumped a Coke into, which is about the worst thing you can pour on electronic equipment! However, his good move was calling me right away, and he brought it right over. We took it apart, and washed the keyboard, MB, and several smaller boards and switches. After a couple of days to thoroughly dry, I reassembled it, and it's as good as new.

The longer the contaminant stays on the parts, the worse it will be.

FYI, many (most?) PCB manufacturing facilities nowadays use acid based flux and a water wash for assembly. The wash is quite through, and the PCB's survive just fine. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice