1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop SATA Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jah711, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jah711

jah711 Thread Starter

I have the Compaq Presario V6ooo. It has a 100GB SATA HD. I want to format the drive and put my Win XP Pro and other programs on it and get rid of the trial programs that are on the drive when I purchased it, including the OS that's on it. Everything on this drive are trial version programs and I want to install my Win XP full version OS. But when I try to do a clean installation with my windows it stops the installation and tells me it cannot find the HD. The laptop works reads and loads perfectly, but my Win won't complete the install because it can't find the hd. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? I don't hjave a floppy drive for this laptop, only a cd and dvd drive combo. Thanks.

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Edited due to me completely forgetting that some systems require sata drivers....thx Kiwiguy...sigh....lol

Scorp.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Remember that you cannot use the COA CD Key that came with the laptop OS to activate a different genus of Windows, so "your XP full version" will have a fit if it's already installed on another PC (or the other PC will be locked out)

The original will be an OEM "Golden Key" version that the CD Key will match, it will not work for any other version.

The original Windows restore CD will have all the SATA drivers needed, hence the problem.

4. jah711

jah711 Thread Starter

I'm sorry...you completely lost me with what you are saying. Could you please explain that again. Thank you. I have my own Win XP disc. Not used yet in any other computer. The laptop has Win Media edition 60 day trial version. I want to put my Win on the Sata HD. Now what am I to do ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/522632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice