1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop screen and HDMI not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kronolynx, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kronolynx

kronolynx Thread Starter

Hi
    i have an acer aspire 5738zg with radeon hd5400 series, 6 gigas of ram, windows 7.
    today when i turned on my laptop everything was working as usual then all of a sudden after a few minutes
    the whole screen got covered in some zigzag lines yellow then pink and after that the screen went black.

i forced shutdown my laptop , tried to restart but the screen wouldn't turn on.
    i tried unplugging the laptop , removing the battery and pressing the turn on button for 30 seconds. also tried removing 1 stick of ram then the other but it didn't work.

then i tried to plug my laptop to an external screen via hdmi. but it didn't work either, i know the laptop is on i can hear the sound and the hard drive light works.

what could be the problem ?
    i don't understand why the hdmi is not working either, yesterday i plugged my laptop to the tv to watch anime and was just fine.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Based on the description of the failure, it sounds like the video chipset has failed.

3. choyt2010

choyt2010

Which since the video on your laptop is part of your laptops motherboard...the motherboard needs to be replaced. Sorry man.

4. kronolynx

kronolynx Thread Starter

thanks, yes i read and the problem seems to be the solder balls under the GPU have either cracked or have become detached from the solder pads on the motherboard, i read that i need to get the GPU reballed but it seems kinda expensive 100 - 130 euros , i don't think it's worth it, i will try to be patient and save money till i can get a new laptop.
    thanks again for the help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice