1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop screen black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robo, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robo

robo Thread Starter

I am working on a dell inspiron 9400. The screen on the laptop is black with nothing at boot on through startup. It works fine with an external monitor. Everything I have read says this would be the screen itself, the invertor, or the cable to the motherboard. I have tried a new screen with the inverter installed as well as a new cable but nothing changes. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 99luked

99luked

You could try a BIOS flash, if this doesn't work then it could be a fault with the motherboard... I've had similar to this with an Acer Aspire One netbook. Good luck

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I have a dell inspiron 9300 also with screen problems. If it uses the Nvidia graphics drivers instead of intel its going to be a lesson in futility to fix it.More than likely the video card is going to be the culprit.For some stupid reason a new video card is going to have the same defect and problem as the original card it came with and isnt going to be worth the money to try to fix it. And trying a used one is going to be a hit or miss option also.I already had the screen components, motherboard, etc, ruled out as the problem. I also updated/flashed the bios and the video/graphics/chipset driver. Didnt help.What was tried and may either be a temporary or long term fix was the video card was removed and they used a heat gun on it which is supposed to do something to the solder and fix the defect thats in there.I would let someone who knows what im talking about do it because if its not done right or not allowed to cool down properly the card will be toast.

4. robo

robo Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided the motherboard is bad so replacing the computer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice