1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Screen Broken or Graphics Card Fault?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Misfit45, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Misfit45

Misfit45 Thread Starter

Hi,

Please can someone help me.

A friend of mine has sent me a photo of his laptop (as attached). Does anyone know if this is the screen that is broken or could it be something else maybe, like the Graphics Card.

The only information that he has been able to give me is, that his daughter was using Google and then this happened.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Misfit

Attached Files:

2. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Try re seating the Ram.

When I had that type of image, it was because the pc had been jarred during cleaning.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And the easy way to rule out the screen is to connect the laptop to an external monitor. If it displays the same issue then its not the screen or any the screen's cabling. If it works fine on the external screen then the video card is OK and the problem is with the screen or cable.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

There is usually a ribbon cable between the motherboard and the screen. The plug into the motherboard sometimes comes loose. Try reseating it. You may have to remove the keyboard and the top plinth to get at it.

5. Misfit45

Misfit45 Thread Starter

Thanks all,

I have spoken to my friend and he has reseated the Ram, but just gets the pictures (as attached).

I will get him to plug a monitor in to see if it that and will let you all know.

Thank you

Misfit

Attached Files:

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Did he try the cable as I suggested?

7. Misfit45

Misfit45 Thread Starter

Hi Dave,

Not yet, I have just got these messages and have text him a couple of minutes ago, so I will get him to try the external monitor first, if not that, then I will get him to try the cable.

Once I know what he has tried and what works I will let you know.

Thanks for your help.

8. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

That picture is indicative of either bad Ram or seating.

Since your friend has re seated the Ram, if other suggestions don't work, test the Ram - let it run for at least one hour. http://www.memtest86.com/

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice