1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop screen damaged.....black screen at boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ffemt317, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffemt317

ffemt317 Thread Starter

I have a gateway laptop (SOLO 5350) and the screen was horribly ripped off(during car accident). Well when I connect my desktop 17" monitor to the port on the back of the laptop and when the windows xp home edition boot screen is finished I get a black screen although the cpu is still workig properly and the monitor is still on. I reboot and press f8 and try to go into safe mode but it just hangs on the screen with all the driver names on it. Can someone guide me in a good direction before I take it to a repair shop?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Normally there's a Altfunction+key that switches the desktop from the LCD to a external monitor.. Look around on the top row of keys for a monitor symbol, then use the alternate function key with that key to switch to the monitor.

3. ffemt317

ffemt317 Thread Starter

I have found the key (fn+F3) but all it will do is turn the monitor off. Pressing it again will not turn the monitor back on and when I try to do it manually, the screen seems to go into stanby mode( if that makes sense). Thanks for the reply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/288662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice