Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop screen dies after "Starting Windows"

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RaytheBear 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have had trouble with my laptop for a while now. It is an Acer ASPIRE 5741Z-5433. It worked great for many months, but after a while I broke the LCD screen and had it replaced. After the replacement, the computer itself stopped working. Once I turn it on, it seems to boot normally until it reaches the Starting Windows screen with the turning windows Logo, but right after this, the screen goes black. I've been doing this with an external monitor, because the laptop's LCD screen is having problems again (it's at 0 brightness, cannot see anything unless I focus on the screen for about half an hour and adjust to the light level). I have no idea why this is happening, because I reset the laptop. I know this worked, because if I start in safe mode it says Setup is preparing your computer for first use, before telling me that it cannot be set up in safe mode, which restarts it into the same problem, starting windows then going black. I've searched the forums, and nothing has helped.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice, because I've looked absolutely everywhere and nothing I saw helped.

P.S. Any solutions that require safe mode won't work because windows is not set up anymore. I'm willing to reinstall windows if this is the easiest solution, but Acer never gave me a recovery CD and I don't want to spend $150 dollars or more on something I already own.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can try the below to see if it works for your ACER:

Laptop Recovery Instructions
Here is the standard Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
4. Click “OK” to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit

Good luck
Ray

#5 ·
I performed the erecovery process. Still having the same problem. FIrst startup, goes into setup preparing all the stuff, then restarts as it says, but now it goes past starting windows with the logo and says "setup is preparing windows for first use," and just restarts itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.