1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop screen dying or fixable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katemarie, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katemarie

katemarie Thread Starter

My laptop screen was just fine when I shut it down and when I powered it up the next day there were black lines running across a top section of the screen. My laptop wasn't dropped or near anything magnetized so I'm not sure what caused it. Is there anyway to fix the display? There are never updates for my drivers when I check (I have an ASUS notebook). I assume the drivers have nothing to do with the problem. I also don't have a spare monitor to hook up to my laptop. I could take it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy but I have no warranty and don't trust them anyway. Is there any other way to fix this or do I have to live with it?

Note: The vertical lines don't show up in screen shots. Most lines are black, others are light turquiose. I tried bending the corners of the screen as suggested on other technical websites. Doesn't make any difference in the appearance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would re-install the driver
    whats the exact model of the asus

or you could try a restore to a date before the issue started
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restore PC to an Earlier Date & Time

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

• Click in the radio button Choose a different restore point
    • Click Next
    • put a tick in Show more restore points
    • Pick a Date before this happened
    • Click Next
    This should restore the PC to that time & date

you may need to use safemode to do the restore. As the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu will appear - choose safemode

windows 8
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3443387/how-use-system-restore-in-windows-8/

windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

windows vista
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html

Windows XP
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/using-system-restore-in-xp/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. katemarie

katemarie Thread Starter

Thanks! It's an Asus Notebook K52F. I'm hesitant to do a system restore because I don't know if it's the screen itself or an internal problem.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK,

5. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Sounds like a hardware problem.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I agree, it sounds like a LCD or LCD cable problem, most likely require replacement parts. Could just be a broken wire in the LCD cable going from the base of the laptop to the screen. Or it could be a failed screen.

However you may be misinformed about what System Restore is. It simply takes Windows back to the date of your choosing, could be earlier in the day, a day or two, or weeks. It does not erase personal data and only removes programs that were installed since the day you choose. It's also reversible and you can undo the restore to the point before running the last restore.

System Recovery on the other hand takes the computer back to the original factory state and removes all programs and data and is not reversible.

7. katemarie

katemarie Thread Starter

Thanks, Triple6. I had 1 restore point and it wasn't prior to the screen issue anyway.

Sounds like there's no option other than buy a new laptop.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Or to replace the screen or cable.

9. xpuser35776

xpuser35776

Sure wish you was close at hand I would charge you for parts and 20.00 dollars for labor. Other places charge 100.00 for disassemble only. I am starting out with 8 laptops under my belt They are all working.

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I may have missed it, but I do not think I have - what is the OS on the laptop
    and what is the display adapter -
    go device manager and expand display adapters - what is shown please

Can you not take the laptop to a friend/colleague who has a monitor and connect that - that will test if it is the screen or connection cable

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1129966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice