1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop screen has frozen, hardware issues???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by garlfc, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garlfc

garlfc Thread Starter

hi i have been currently been getting help with my laptop with some malware issues, and now that i think most of them have been sorted out my laptop has seemed to frozen me out. i cant even get the computer restarted at all. i was told to post here to get help with this. i have attached a pic of laptop screen as it seems to stay at all the time now

here is a link to the thread i have got goin about the malware problems, i hope i can get some help with these matters

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1092821-computer-slow-responding.html

Attached Files:

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Try booting into safe mode and see if it will successfully work. You get to safe mode by pressing the f8 key once turning the the computer (if not the f8, then a different f key).

If that doesn't work, all try the Last Known Good Configuration option and you get there the same way you do with safe mode.

3. garlfc

garlfc Thread Starter

Thanks for ur help but I tried both and still no luck, the first one brought me to windows recovery screen and azked to start windows normally or repair windows. When you select repair windows it juzt tKes you back to the blue screen again. And start windows normally just freezing at windows logo. The other option you says eventually just brings you back to thd windows recovery screen

4. dai

dai

tap f8 when booting and from the options try

last known good configuration

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

if it comes up clear run

chkdsk /f

5. garlfc

garlfc Thread Starter

I already tried last good configuration it wont work I cant get windows to start at all so how can I download something

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

I have requested your other thread in the Windows 7 forum is closed, please do not start new threads for the same problem, just stick with this one.

As suggested by Dai in his post a good place to start would be to test your hard drive. Please follow this guide to run the test, you will need to use another PC to create the CD.

If you do not have access to another PC to burn diagnostic disks there is very little we can do when the PC is unbootable.

Do you have a copy of the Windows 7 DVD?

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

7. garlfc

garlfc Thread Starter

how do i get to the bios screen???

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Upon booting hit an f key. It depends on the system. Could be f2, f10, f12, and others. You might be able to hit the "pause" button to stop the system from continuing to load when you are booting. Usually, at boot, it will tell you what certain keys do. This screen comes and goes very fast though, so you can try the pause button to stop it or just hit f keys and see what each one does.

9. garlfc

garlfc Thread Starter

cheers purduemaker i got is sorted, its currently scanning computer i think atm

10. dai

dai

11. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I do not know if that is correct dai. Based on the screenshot provided, it looks like windows has just started to load and stops right as it is happening.

12. garlfc

garlfc Thread Starter

just finished test it said it failed, something about a sector failed

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

That confirms your hard drive is failing and should be replaced.

They only way you may be able to get it to boot up again is to run a disk check, but there is no guarantee. Also if the disk check does get it to work again it may be short lived as more bad sectors are quite likely to occur.

If you boot the system while tapping the F8 key and then select Command Prompt from the menu, at the prompt type in chkdsk /r (you must leave a space in front of the forward slash). Answer any prompts, type in exit, hit the Enter key and reboot the PC, it should run as the system starts to boot up, leave it to complete which may take some time depending on the size of your drive. When it completes it should continue to boot into Windows.

Let us know how it goes.

14. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yes, as mark1956 said, one bad sector typically leads to more. So if you ever get this work, I would suggest making a backup should you continue to use this hard drive and it ends up failing and is unrecoverable.

Btw, how old is this hard drive?

15. dai

dai

the screenshot has nothing to do with correctly checking the h/drive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice