1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop screen is fried???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkit, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monkit

monkit Thread Starter

Hi all ive done some searching online and although i had found some similar problems from other people, i have not found an exact answer/solution to my own problem.

I bought a laptop about 15 months ago ain't had any problems with it so far, and a few days ago i noticed an odd flicker every now and then(roughly every 5 seconds), nothing huge but semi annoying when you noticed it.

Anyway fast forward to yesterday, i was working away on my laptop at home, I was actually reading some paper work, when suddenly the screen goes black, I thought "wth?, Can't be a screen saver". The screen stayed black even when i was using the mouse, pressing keys, etc.
    I the computer was running fine but i have no visual(i can hear sounds as i do stuff), If i get extremely close i can JUST make out the start menu when i press the windows key.

I have tried adjusting the brightness but to no avail.

I turned off the computer and on multiple occassions on the past 24 hours, I turn on the computer and get a normal screen, windows logo etc as its boots up, but generally 10-20 seconds in, and its back to the black screen.

I noticed some similar forums suggested hooking up another monitor to the laptop via the monitor port(i can't think of the correct term sorry), upon booting up, both are fine and about 15 seconds in the laptop goes to black as usual and the monitor hooked up tells me, "No signal, Sleep Mode" or something like that "Sleep Mode was a definate"

Hopefully someone can help me out with my problem and a suggested solution would be great, Ive heard its gonna cost me an arm and a leg to replace the LCD screen if thats what it is, but the fact both the laptop screen and the monitor went out after a few seconds made me rethink that it possibly may not be the exact problem.

Thought id ask here before i went to a shop and possibly got charged $1000 (aus) supposedly (for lcd and labor, one bloke quoted without looking at it) for something that could be trivial and i get told it was a new lcd screen (and he pockets everything :( )

Thanks top anyone that can help and i really appreciate it

Mark

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well if the external monitor is going out also then replacing the LCD screen or backlight probably wont help. You might try booting up and going into setup and see if the screens black out then or stay lit. A make and model type might help also. Is the laptop still under warranty?

3. monkit

monkit Thread Starter

Its a mitac 8050i i believe and the warranty as always was a 12 months one and it just ran out bout 2-3 months ago of course :(

Ill check the setup and see what happens thanks

4. monkit

monkit Thread Starter

Ok im on the laptop atm i have not tried the setup part just yet, i have switched on the laptop and so far he screen has stayed on(no flickering, no blacking out) and the laptop has been on for about 30 minutes now(better than 15 seconds).

Its really odd because i have not done anything to it yet, and its working fine. Thanks again mate hopefully you or someone may know what happened and perhaps what to do to stop it happening again.

If it keeps on working then the bloke i took it to probably would have charged me the 1k+ anyways (I just didn't like how he didn't even really look at it, i just told him about the flicker and then it blacking out, so he said he would have to replace it and would cost me the $1100ish.

Cheers again mate :)

5. monkit

monkit Thread Starter

Back on the desktop, screen blacked out again, now the screen is blacked out with in the first 4 seconds of the laptop starting up. Sigh.

Cant even see the screen for the setup section upon starting up.

6. monkit

monkit Thread Starter

Anyone at all? plz its getting stressful and i was hoping that someone may know what to do

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Have you tried Lurker1's suggestion? If so, what was the result?

I don't know what your level of knowledge is so I will ask if you understand what Lurker1 meant by 'going into the setup'. On most computers, you get into that by pressing DEL during the POST.

I recommend you leave the computer in setup for extended periods if necessary to see if the problem developes there. I also recommend you do it at times when the problem is presenting consistently.

This diagnostic step will tell us whether this is an OS or hardware problem.

8. monkit

monkit Thread Starter

5th post in,
    So i cant even see the screen on setup now

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You have eliminated the OS as a contributing factor.

This is a hardware problem. It may cost more to fix than the laptop is worth.

10. monkit

monkit Thread Starter

Sigh damn :(

Thanks anyway mate, was hoping with the fact that both the external monitor and the laptop monitor cutting out would mean it wasn't the lcd ($800 AUS:( ), especially after it was working for a little while yesterday), so was hoping for something alot cheaper.

Thanks again

11. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Last time I priced a laptop screen replacement, it was $750 and that was years ago; but, yours is not the screen that's bad. It appears to me the problem is in the main board. And in a laptop, that is the computer.

Sorry about the loss.

You could send it for repair. It's useless the way it is. Waddiya have to lose? You might even get some good news.

12. monkit

monkit Thread Starter

Yeah true i just wanted to get some advice(i really appreciate it btw :) ), especially after that bloke last week telling me its the screen thats it :( , he didn't really look at it just wanted the cash, so i wanted to have an idea on what it could have been to at least have some sort of an answer if a repairer said it was something that it wasn't rather than me looking like an idiot and just nodding my head and handing over the money.

cheers again

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice