1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop screen is jumpy and flickers.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VelvetLightning, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VelvetLightning

VelvetLightning Thread Starter

A few months ago i had to order a new laptop screen because my old one cracked. When i first had a family member install it, it worked fine. After about a month of having it in, and working fine, it started to mess up. The area at the bottom of the screen, the height of the taskbar started to get lines in it. Eventually it actually started to display the very top of the screen in that small space.
    At first i thought that maybe the screen was acting up because the bottom corner screws were too tight. I don't personally know if i have a screwdriver that can unscrew those tiny screws so i never tried to loosen them.
    After a few weeks of that problem, my screen started to flicker, or jump. Not flicker on and off, but the screen would flicker around. It's difficult to explain. Now, sometimes the flickering gets so bad a can't see what I'm doing on my screen.
    I'm wondering if it's possible that the wires hooked up to the screen are bent or pinched or if their just not plugged in all the way? Or if this is a problem i can fix, and not an issue with the screen itself, because i can not afford another screen.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I would remove the connections to the screen and then reconnect them, making sure they are clean and secure.

3. VelvetLightning

VelvetLightning Thread Starter

I'm going to have the person who installed the screen for me, do that sometime tomorrow.
    Is there any chance that it could be a driver issue or something of that sort.
    I looked up similar problems, and overall, ill be happy as long as its something i can have my family member fix, and is not a defect in the screen itself.
    Because there is no way i could afford another one.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I suspect connections strongest only because that was the most recent adjustment; but, my second suspect is the video controller. Some laptops have one that is changable and relatively easily accessed, just under the keyboard. You might unplug and replug that also. It it is the removable type it will have one or more screws holding it in place.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/984326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice