1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop screen issues and replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lychee203, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lychee203

lychee203 Thread Starter

I have two laptops currently both with broken screens.

On my hp dv6500 I have the following issue with the screen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnsnei0bty54i37/20150522_142640.mp4?dl=0

I believe it might be an inverter issue?

On my hp-g7-1070us the screen is competely broken.

I'd like to either fix the dv6500 or transplant the dv6500 screen to the 1070us. The issue is 1) i don't even know what's wrongwith the dv6500. does it look like an inverter issue? WHen i turn it on the screen works for a few seconds, then i hear the sound and smell of overheating and it starts giving up.
    and

2) are the screens even interchangeable. I haven't checked the cords but i imagine there are differences seeing as how the 1070us doesn't even require an inverter cable?

here are the two replacement screens: http://www.amazon.com/HP-PAVILION-D...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003TPGQG0

and

http://www.amazon.com/HP-PAVILION-G7-1070US-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B005L8VF3W

footnote: i'm not even using the correct screen forthe dv6500. i transplanted like a screen from a compaq computer into it years ago and it's only recently started to crap out.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Being as the G7 has an LED back lit screen your other screen is not going to work on it. When you say the G7 Screen is "Completely Broken" do you mean Physically broken? If so you can order the parts from HP.

3. lychee203

lychee203 Thread Starter

I just don't think the g7 is worth investing money at this point.

4. lychee203

lychee203 Thread Starter

Do you have any idea what's going on with the dv6500?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are smelling the signs of overheating it could be overheating, have you cleaned the dust out of the laptop recently? As far as the screen goes when it turns black, if you shine a flashlight on it do you see a faint image of what it should be displaying? Have you tried using an external monitor on the laptop?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can't swap those screens, apart from any other differences according to your links one is 15.6" and the other is 17" !

I'm not sure what's wrong with the screen in the video but it's not the inverter.

7. lychee203

lychee203 Thread Starter

I shined a flash light behind the screen and I actually see what should have been displayed. Easy fix?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That usually means the inverter has gone bad, but may be the backlight itself.

9. lychee203

lychee203 Thread Starter

Given that the eerie sound is coming from the inverter I'm going to guess it's that. Any ghetto fixes that anyone can think of?

10. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

I just pulled the good parts like RAM and HDD out of one of these and threw it in the trash. Not worth the effort. Talk about a garbage laptop.

11. lychee203

lychee203 Thread Starter

how sad

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You wouldn't get the few seconds of display on the screen if the inverter or the backlight had failed completely.

I suppose it could be an inverter fault but I think your video shows it's more likely to be the screen itself or maybe the backlight is arcing.

If you can smell and hear burning I doubt it's an easy fix.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice