1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Screen only works 1 out of 7 times

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zach13, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zach13

zach13 Thread Starter

A guy brought over a laptop. When you turn it on, it only shows something on the screen about 1 out of every seven times. Every other time, it won't even post, doesn't show anything on the screen. Here is what I tried:

I tried turning it on while connected to a separate monitor, nothing, each time.

I took off the battery, and used only power

I took the ram out, and just used the onboard ram, still nothing.

I checked all the connectors, ribbon cables, screen etc.

The guy already left, it was an older laptop, compaq. I don't remember the model number.

What I told him, and I would just like confirmation, or to be told I was wrong! Either way, I just want to know: is that it was probably the graphics card going out, and that it may, or may not be, soldiered to the mb.

Anyone ever come across this?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

That does sound like a fault with the graphics card which in the vast majority of laptops is integrated into the motherboard. The fact that it also wont POST could have been caused by many other things, memory, overheating, hard drive, power supply or even a bad virus infection.

Not a lot you can do now that the PC has been returned.

3. zach13

zach13 Thread Starter

Mark, thanks for your quick response, I did forget to add that I tried the laptop sans HDD as well. I did figure that the issue could have been caused by many of those things as well, so I did try each new thing as I removed a component.

I also figured in the end that it was the GPU as well, but could it have also been MB, or CPU?

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Yes, it could have been virtually any item of hardware but impossible to say without running various diagnostics.

5. Jrw2550

Jrw2550

Theres always possibilities....sounds way more like a gpu though. Also, never seen a virus that could cause a system not to post....maybe way way way back, not anymore though the bios is a separate entity now. Also not going to be a hard drive...ok unless its shorted, but lets face it hard drives die because they have spinning parts. I fixed a laptop once that had similar issues in a crazy way. You're probably not going to believe this but maybe its worth a try if you've got nothing to loose. I completely disassembled the laptop down to the motherboard. Then I borrowed a heat gun from a sheet metal shop (they use it for curing repairs). I put the setting on "low" for about 2 minutes and warmed the entire motherboard up. Then I stuck the heat gun at the hottest setting and made circular motions about 2-3 inches away from the Mobo, but focused on the GPU for another 2 minutes. Then you have to cool down the heat gun anyway, so I used that to gently cool off the mobo as well. After all said and done.....laptop working like a charm!!! Now, disclaimer here, I've read online that this type of fix is generally not considered permanent, as you are just reflowing the solder. But, hey if you got an old laptop and its not worth an expensive repair, maybe somethin to try out. Worked for me but no guarantees.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Would a Graphics fault alone stop a laptop from getting through POST ?

Even if it could I think there would be other signs of life, power light, HDD light, fan noise etc.

Did anything like that happen when you switched the laptop on ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice