1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop screen replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlynn, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlynn

dlynn Thread Starter

Toshiba Satellite Laptop
    #P105-S6004
    17" WXGA+ TruBrite 1440x900 R (Glossy)
    SP Media Center Edition Ver. 2002
    XP Pro Service Pack 3
    Intel T1300 @ 1.66 GHZ
    0.99 GB Memory

Vertical mulitcolored lines across the screen. Hooked it up to my screen, no lines...researched it...there is a problem with these screens and warranty will replace for free, but warranty is expired. Question is..

Is it a problem with the screen itself or the inverter? Or do i replace both possibly?

How do you know whether or not its your inverter or the screen itself...

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It's the LCD itself. If it were the backlight inverter, your display would be dim. The backlight inverter provides the high voltage AC for the (basically fluorescent) tube(s) that generate the back lighting for the display.

If the screen were dark, you'd have the quandary of inverter or lamps (generally not easily replaced). With the lines, it's the screen.

3. dlynn

dlynn Thread Starter

:D Thank you, i'm just starting on laptops, and plan to go back to school for recert. In the meantime, am trying to learn all i can. i researched removing the old LCD and replacing it, it looks moderately simple from what i've seen so far. Muchly
    appreciated.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. dlynn

dlynn Thread Starter

thanks for the heads up about the cable and the link. ;)

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome, good luck with it and please post back with how it goes.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Often if you press gently, but firmly, around the periphery of the LCD you can make some of the lines come and go. This is due to broken connections (akin to cold solder joints, but they don't use solder) on the cables or controller chips. A definite indicator of a screen that needs to be replaced!

Just be careful, go slowly and watch out for different size screws.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    And make sure if you do buy a screen that it's got exactly the same ID as the original one, it will be written on the back of the screen so it has to be removed from the lid to see it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice