1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Screen Shuts Off When Computer Is Thinking.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Konz, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Konz

Konz Thread Starter

Ok, so here's my problem, I'm currently running a Compaq laptop (F712NR) with Windows Vista. I first noticed this problem while running windows XP after I turned on hibernation, the computer display would not come back on after I "woke" the laptop up. I figured it was a problem with the OS install and Since i wanted to try service pack 1 anyways, I installed vista, since that's what the laptop came with. Now the screen will stay off if the laptop turns off the display for any reason other then just closing the lid which i believe is just a hardware switch that's doing that. I have my power options set to "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. Also when Vista asks if you want do do something the screen will go blank for a bit but the back light stays on. I tried replacing the ram, no luck, and updated the drivers, No luck. I'm stumped, anyone got any ideas?

I took a video of the screen acting up, in mp4 format

http://cid-aedf43279000f479.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Free Downloads/VIDEO0001.mp4

Let me know if I can provide any more info

2. Severcool

Severcool

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you are using the wrong video drivers or they are corrupt.......

For the second part of your question: wait a minute...after watching your video this is normal Vista behavior.

On a normal PC with Vista when the UAC prompts you for action there is a temporary black out. It happens on my brand new HP Compaq 6510B.

3. BG-0

BG-0

Try turning the UAC off and see if it does that without it...
    Sorry if this is impossible. Some of the annoying features can be turned off, and I recall it being the UAC. I don't use vista personally.

4. Severcool

Severcool

Great idea BG-0....sometimes it's so easy to overlook the basic stuff.

5. Konz

Konz Thread Starter

Update: I called Compaq Support and they told me there working on a new driver for the nForce chipset because they had it working well with vista before the new service pack, the biggest problem I am having is the 3 or 4 sec of black screen befor it will pop up with the UAC then the same wait time after I answer its question. I don't want to turn off the UAC because I'm worried about security but I did for now. Also Compaq told me the driver will fix the hibernation issue which at the time (since I have not used it yet) did not know that was an issue, that is now off as well. If anyone has anymore tips to allow me to keep my UAC on and have it not take so long to bring up a simple question, let me know. Oh and I just got my dad a new laptop with vista, HP, his does not do this, so there's got to be a problem somewhere. Could it be the bios flash Compaq had me do recently? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3561974 and if so is there a way to get the old bios back?

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you can locate the older BIOS flash file you can reflash to the previous version. But it sounds like it's just a driver issue that Compaq/HP is working on.

The UAC prompt is actually in a totally separate display console. The main display is dimmed, then the system has to switch to the other console window to display the prompt. It all depends on the driver as to how fast that will happen. Usually the main display just gets dimmed rather than goes to black. Don't know if thats a driver or hardware issue though.

On my system the main display dims, then the UAC prompt is displayed -- it does take a second or three to switch.

You'd think with todays hardware it wouldn't take that long but I suspect the UAC console is deliberately not kept in memory so that console can't be hacked. So it will have to be read from the drive every time and then initialized which will take a second or two.

Hopefully a new driver will improve it but there will always be a bit of a delay I think, just the nature of the beast.

HTH

Jerry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice