1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Screen turns White / Rainbow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parashock1, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parashock1

Parashock1 Thread Starter

I am using a Compaq Presario V2000 since 2006.
    Win XP Home, AMD Sempron 3000+, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, 1Gb Ram.

Since the last couple months, once in a few weeks, while I am using my computer, my screen turns to what is depicted in the Image file attached here. Earlier it would fix itself in about a minute or two. Or I'd have to move or twist the screen a bit. But recently, the only fix that works is a restart. I can not see anything on the screen and thus use a keyboard shortcut for restart.

From what I have read around, its probably the Inverter (or whatever is the chip behind the screen frame where it says "Compaq") that is troubled and replacing it would fix it. But before I take it to HP and get myself ripped off, I could use some advice.

Thanks a ton and ask if there's any more info that is required.

PS: The picture does not reflect the rainbow colors because the colors are due to the background. During me clicking the picture, there was nothing running I guess.

Attached Files:

2. Parashock1

Parashock1 Thread Starter

Since no one has any info here, I'll post what I learn. Might help others.

Since the backlight is working fine, it is not and Inverter or a Backlight Issue.
    And I can hook it to a external monitor (when my screen is knocked out) and it works fine. Thus motherboard and video card are fine as well.

That leaves us with the LCD wiring / cable and the Panel in itself.
    I have decided to wait for a few days before I take it to a tech because I do not move the panel at all and it seems to be stable for now.

Will update.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice