1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop screen went blank - external HDMI display works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmithsonGA, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SmithsonGA

SmithsonGA Thread Starter

I was moving our Dell Studio 17 laptop and the screen went blank. I thought it did a power save or something. But I could not get it redisplay anything..no flickers, nothing.

I rebooted, nothing.

I opened up the back and reseated the ram and verified the hard drives were secure. I vacuumed out any dust. No difference.

So I tried using the HDMI with our TV and it displays just fine. I try to toggle the screen (function F8 on my laptop) and it makes no difference. HDMI is always shown.

In the past when we use the HDMI to display netflix movies on our TV, I hookup the HDMI and the laptop automatically switches to the HDMI display and turns off the laptop display. When I unplug the HDMI, it wouldnt turn the laptop screen back on. I would have to reboot with the HDMI disconnected for the display to come back.

Now rebooting doesnt not bring the screen back.

Anything else to try? are there settings somewhere forcing the laptop to not send info to its own screen? BIOS?

This laptop has an ATI card and uses the latest drivers. It does have the Catalyst control center where it detects the displays. It seems the 'unknown' laptop screen and TV (when HDMI is connected, the only way I can see the screen at this time)..but it calls them duplicates and calls both of them #1 display.

Thanks for the help

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Shine a flashlight on the Laptop LCD and see if you have any image. It may be a Backlight or inverter problem.

3. SmithsonGA

Ok, I can see the image when I shine a flashlight on it.

You say a backlight or inverter issue. Is this repairable? I already checked and I can replace this laptop with the latest version for $600. If this is expensive to repair, I will replace and then use this laptop with an external monitor/keyboard/mouse for my kids.

Best case, I can easily repair this screen.

thx

4. SmithsonGA

I did more research. I used my Dell service manual to get down to the inverter. I wanted to verify the inverter part # to order.

Unfortunately, where the service manual shows there to be an inverter card, THERE ISNT ONE.

This LG LP171WPA (TL)(A1) 17.0" WXGA+ display has a card attached to the back of the display itself. I searched online and find these are LED backlighted.

I can get a new one online for $100. Would we agree because this is an LED backlighted display that the inverter card is integral to the back of the display itself and replacing the assembly would fix this issue potentially?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would think it would.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice