laptop screen wont turn on

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

saturndrop

Hi,
I have an HP Omnibook 6000 (I've posted about it on this forum before) Well my HD died so I bought a new one, I installed it yesterdaybut now the screen wont turn on. It was working before I changed the HD. When I turn the computer on the lights above the keyboard dont turn on ( I know one of them indicate the screen) they turn on for a second and then off. The computer is running though I can hear it but nothing happens on the screen. HELP, does anyone know what I can do to get the screen working again?? I would really appreciate soem help, Im lost.

THANKS!!

First we need to determine if it's the screen. Hook the laptop up to an external monitor, see if you get anything.

No, screen isn't necessarily broken. The screen being blank can be caused by a number of reasons. The first (easiest) one to always check is to see if the screen itself is the problem by testing the laptop with an external monitor. If it still doesn't work with an external monitor then something else on the laptop is bad and causing you not to get video, not the screen itself. Hook it up and let us know how it goes.

maybe you installed the harddrive incorrectly or its the wrong type for your laptop if it happend right after upgrading harddrive change it back to the old one and see what happens.

saturndrop

Ok so I've tried a pc monitor but it wont show anything either. what should I do now?

saturndrop

I can't test the old HD cause it wasn't working in the first place and that why I replaced it.

I have an HP omnibook 6000 and I got a Fujitsu MHT-AH MHT2040AH 40GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Notebook Hard Drive - OEM Model #: MHT2040AH .........I spoke to the manufacturer and the sales rep said that it was comaptible with my laptop...hmmm I dont know what to do now.

Just to check one more time. I pulled up your laptop manual, did you press Fn and F5 repeatedly on boot up when you connected the external monitor?

And if that still doesn't help, when you turn it on, what do the lights on the front of the computer look like (not the ones above the keyboard, the ones below it on the base)?

saturndrop

I tried Fn and F5 with the laptops on monitor, I havent tried it with the external monitor....................... there are 4 lights on the base of the computer but only 2 turn on the one for the battery and the 1st one, a green light.

If the second one isn't even lighting up then the computer isn't accessing the hard drive. Pull it out and make sure it's in correctly.

saturndrop

is on correctly and its in, but the second light still wont light up. I've pulled it out several times and carefully put it back in, but still nothing. What can I do now?

btw Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it!:)

Try a floppy boot disk or a Windows cd, see if it'll boot up to either of those instead of the hard drive. The hard drive dying may have done something to the board, that fact that it isn't even trying to detect the hard drive isn't good.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online