Laptop Screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CarlssonMB

Friend of mine has a broken laptop

You hit the power button turn on the laptop and the screen comes on for a second then shuts off. Even while constantly hitting the screen power button on the thing to try and turn it back on it keeps going off after being on for not even a second, just a flash of bios, then windows loading screen. Nothing wrong with PC, just the display is whacked out. I don't physically have it with me, my friend has it but could you come up with some things that might be wrong with it? Thank you.

jiml8

How do you know the computer is running? Have you hooked an external monitor to it and demonstrated that?

Beyond that, how one would proceed depends on the brand and model of laptop, which is information you did not provide.

Many laptops will turn their display off/on with a Fn-F6 keypress.

Maybe the backlight going out? Hook it up to an external monitor if possible too, just to make sure.

CarlssonMB

It does work on external monitor, and I believe it is a Toshiba Tecra 8000 series

Like I said, its in perfect working order except for screen

Heh, I'm typing this on an 8100, good little laptop. Anyway, my guess would be the inverter, ebay should have some for sale.

Well, I replaced an entire lcd screen on a Gateway Solo 5100 with no instructions and did okay. If you have some hardware experience it shouldn't be bad. The hardest part will be getting to the actual part to replace. I honestly couldn't tell you how to disassemble a Tecra 8100 though, I haven't had to tear mine apart yet. Search around the net, see if someone has them posted, once you get to it the swap should go okay if it's anything like my old Gateway was. Again though, you should have some experience in messing with computer hardware if you're going to attempt this.

CarlssonMB

I have alot of hardware experience with desktops, however I don't do alot of laptop repairs, so i will google around see if I can find some pics

There is a Toshiba news group. japan.comp.toshiba I use that when I need anything for mine, you could try posting there, see if anyone has done it before and can help. When I did the work on my Gateway it was my first laptop work, as long as you have hardware knowledge/common sense you'll be fine, all my previous work was on desktops too.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online