1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blade-girl, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blade-girl

Blade-girl Thread Starter

Of course everything has to go wrong at christmas. On christmas morning I was walking down my parents' stair with my laptop open in my hands (I know stupid stupid stupid, but I had not saved an exam I was working on) I lost my balance and dropped my computer to save my a**, which resulted in the screen literally broke of the rest of the computer. I guess since I don't have much experience with computers that my question is; Do anybody know if the computer can be fixed? And if it can if it would be so expensive that it would be more wise to invest in a new? :confused:

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The econonomics of repair vs replacement would depend on the age of the laptop, actual level of damage and availability of spares.

What make model of laptop?
    Sounds like the hinges have gone, has the screen fractured as well?
    Has the wiring been torn out?

There is a high probability that moe damage has been caused than is visible, so unless its a very expensive late model laptop, I would make a wild guess that replacement may be better long-term than repair?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have to agree that it's going to cost substantial cash to fix that, even if the screen survived. I suspect it may not have survived...

4. Blade-girl

Blade-girl Thread Starter

Actually the screen did survive. It was ripped from its framing in the one side, but the screen held up. The wiring were ripped out, but I don't thing they are broken.

But it is an old model 3½ year old Toshiba Satellite, -almost a veteran :)

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

You probably need to take it to a dealer for an estimate.

Or you may be able to find an identical case that has other problems for sale on ebay and just replace the case yourself. How are you with screwdrivers?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice