1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop searches through ext HD when docking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jgsketch, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgsketch

jgsketch Thread Starter

Hello,
    When I put my laptop on its docking station, a Autoplay window pops up and searches through my entire external hard drive. Is there a setting that I'm missing? I can't seem to get it to stop doing that. Sometimes a window will popup asking me how to play the Hard drive. I've tried None and Automatic. I thought None would have stopped it from searching through the hard drive. Any ideas? Thanks

2. AquaFire

AquaFire

Windows XP is designed to "autoplay" any USB device that you attach. When you're docking your notebook, it is recognizing that the usb device is attached and letting you know, as a convenience. Obviously to some (i.e. you), that intended convenience is an inconvenience- welcome to Windows!

Do you have an option on the autoplay window that says "Always choose this option" or something like that? Click that checkbox and select the "Do nothing" option in the list. That should be the easiest cure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/267071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice